“Broadening Our Skills to Accommodate the Needs of the Citizens We Serve”
****COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) PROCEDURES****
The Probate Court is open to the public for all probate needs, questions, and concerns. Due to the safety measures and protocols for Covid-19, we are able to serve you contact-free by email, mail, or document drop-off. If in-person servicing is necessary, Probate Court will be able to schedule appointments via telephone, online and/or written requests.
This system will allow the court to expedite the return of documents, Orders, etc. to the attorneys and our citizens, while practicing safeness. Please contact Probate Court with any specific questions or concerns.
We are always pleased to serve you. Sincerely,
Betty F. Matthews
PROBATE COURT FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Probate Court has jurisdiction and is responsible for assisting the citizens of Williamsburg County in:
- Probating the estate of deceased persons;
- Application and issuance of marriage licenses;
- Appointment of guardians for incapacitated/incompetent adults;
- Appointment of conservators for the estates of minors ($25,000 or more) and incapacitated persons;
- Approving minor settlements ($25,000 or less)
- Monitoring guardianships and conservatorships;
- Assisting Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Centers with involuntary commitment of mentally ill and/or chemically dependent persons.
PROBATE COURT DOES NOT:
- Probate estates for persons who have been deceased for 10 years or more;
- Initiate the involuntary treatment or commitment process for mentally ill and/or chemically dependent persons (for assistance, please contact your local mental health facility)
Physical Address: 147 W. Main Street
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1005 Kingstree, SC 29556
Phone: 843-355-9321; Ext. 6200
**Currently, there is no online access to estates and marriage license records. Please call or email to schedule an appointment. **
HOURS OF OPERATION
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.